Welcome to Open Water Swimming!
Our members swim year-round in the waters of Aquatic Park Cove where temperatures vary from about 50 F in January to about 65 F in September. A line of buoys parallel to the shore marks a quarter-mile course. Highlights of the scheduled swim calendar include the Golden Gate and Alcatraz swims, twilight swims followed by potluck barbecues, and our longest swim, Fort Point to Aquatic Park. The club also offers swim clinics led by volunteer coaches and experienced swimmers to help members improve open water swimming techniques.
Every summer and winter, you can sign up for our mileage competitions. If you can swim at least forty miles between December 21 and March 21, you’re honored as an official Dolphin Club Polar Bear. Even more challenging is the 100-mile swim, June 1 to October 31, in San Francisco bay waters.
Daily Swimming Best Practices
Swimming in the bay has inherent physical risks, including but not limited to cold shock, hypothermia, serious injury, and even death. There are no lifeguards on duty. All activities are completely unsupervised. You swim at your own risk and are responsible for your own safety. In addition to the Swimming Rules, which must always be followed, the following suggested practices may reduce the risks associated with swimming in the bay. Connect with a Swim Commissioner at email@example.com with any questions.
Public Access Day Use
Non-members are welcome to visit the Dolphin Club. However please note that boats are not available for use by non-members.
- Club members are allowed to bring up to four vaccinated guests.
- If you aren’t a guest of a member, you are welcome to visit the club during our public-access hours, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Our neighbors at the SouthEnd Rowing Club have public day-use hours on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- All non-members must read and sign the waiver and pay the $10 day use fee. Cash or via phone app.
- Public day use swimmers must stay within the Aquatic Park Cove Swim Boundary.
- Please read and respect our rules Dolphin Swimming and Boating Club Rules which are posted prominently.
Yes, there are guest lockers available. Please bring your own lock.
The $10 day use fee gives you access to the locker rooms, shower and sauna alongside the kitchen, gym, deck and lounge areas.
Yes, please bring your own towel and shower products.
No, there are no ‘in and out’ privileges for day use guests.
Yes! The Dolphin Club maintains public-day use hours on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays regardless of federal or state holidays.
No, there are no lifeguards on duty. You swim at your own risk and are responsible for your own safety.