Welcome to Open Water Swimming!
Our members swim year-round in the waters of Aquatic Park Cove where temperatures vary from about 50 F in January to about 65 F in September. A line of buoys parallel to the shore marks a quarter-mile course. Highlights of the scheduled swim calendar include the Golden Gate and Alcatraz swims, twilight swims followed by potluck barbecues, and our longest swim, Fort Point to Aquatic Park.
Every summer and winter, you can sign up for our mileage competitions. If you can swim at least forty miles between December 21 and March 21, you’re honored as an official Dolphin Club Polar Bear. Even more challenging is the 100-mile swim, June 1 to October 31, in San Francisco bay waters.
Daily Swimming Best Practices
Swimming in the bay has inherent physical risks, including but not limited to cold shock, hypothermia, serious injury, and even death. There are no lifeguards on duty. All activities are completely unsupervised. You swim at your own risk and are responsible for your own safety. In addition to the Swimming Rules, which must always be followed, the following suggested practices may reduce the risks associated with swimming in the bay. Connect with a Swim Commissioner (Tom Neill or Elaine Van Vleck) at email@example.com with any questions.
Public Access Day Use
Non-members are welcome to visit the Dolphin Club. However please note that boats are not available for use by non-members.
- Club members are allowed to bring up to two vaccinated guests Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturday – Sunday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- If you aren’t a guest of a member, you may visit the club during our public-access hours, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
- ALL non-members must show proof of vaccination, read and sign the waiver and pay the day use fee.
- Day-use guest fee is $10. You’ll also need to read and sign a waiver.
- Public day use swimmer must stay within the Aquatic Park Cove Swim Boundary.
- Please read and respect our rules Dolphin Swimming and Boating Club Rules which are posted prominently.