Wieland is the queen of our fleet. Built in 1887 By Al Rodgers, it is a 140 year-old, historic six-oared barge named after a charter member of the club – local beer-baron John Wieland. Port Orford cedar, mahogany, and oak were used in the original construction and subsequent repair. Length is 40’, uses sweep oars 13 feet long, and weighs an estimated 670 lbs. Despite its size, the barge is maneuvered into the water and back onto the dock by hand and muscle-power alone.
Each fall a crew of Dolphin women compete in the Wieland against a similar crew from the South End club at our annual DC/SERC Triathlon. To participate in Wieland rows, become involved in our rowing program.